Tuesday, October 21, 2008

In charge in Berlin

Day Two. 7.30 pm. Hungry. Need to pee. A little sleepy. New. Done. Still need to pee. Which other excuses can I come up with?
Ok, I didn't do it the German way. Got a bit overconfident. I don't blame myself. Will they?

Yesterday I started working at vbs.tv, the video/internetversion of Vice Magazine. After my big decision that I hadn't come to Berlin to work in an Italian restaurant, it felt as if luck was on my side. I sent out three coverletters and had four (I didn't get it as well) different jobinterviews within 3 days. Against all expectations (a person can get a bit insecure here in Berlin), I not only received compliments in abundance, they told me I could start straight away and regulate my own scedule. It really felt as if I was in charge.


But 'in charge' might not be the proper definition, as I have found out now. In the future, I should at least specify until where my powerzone reaches. This remains the most difficult level of the tricky integrating game I'm playing here Germany. So when my upper/upper/upper GERMAN boss (who had only met me an hour before) told me 'NO, I'm on the phone', I maybe shouldn't have said 'Well, this is for you, so I will talk to you'!

I wanted to add 'briefly', it was all for a good cause (his, believe me) and all the facts written above were happening. But the look in his and in my GERMAN colleagues' eyes said enough.
I'll need to bring extra cookies & Schnaps tomorrow or I'll have to pretend I'm someone else ... the rest of my career.
link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnaps

No comments: