Friday, October 17, 2008

"Hug the person on your left"



Last thursday started out as just a regular thursday. No, I'm lying: I must admit I was kind of annoyed and hungry that I didn't have any yoghurt nor raisins when I got up. But those are just minor details. My major frustration was the fact that I had failed in getting tickets to see Sia that night.

For those of you, who don't know Sia: just stop reading. Go and feel ashamed! It's that simple.

While I was trying to accept this disappointing character feature of myself, I made plans for the night. Live on, forgive and eventually forget. My options were simple: I was going to see the performance by my friend Brina, that we had been working on for a few weeks. I would like to emphasize that I wouldn't have never missed this. I would just consider Sia as a really, really, super big + to my night afterwards. But as I said, forget and ... "sorry, what?!? Thijs, could you repeat that? Extra tickets for who?". It seemed like the cognitive modules in my brain had suddenly lost every notion of their original purpose.

skip
..>!><><

distortion
<>!<#>^

skip

....and there I was. Floathing on
cloudes. Smiling from big ear to big ear. Serenades of love in my head sung by nightingales and butterflies. Almost as light as a feather. I know you think I'm exaggerating. Maybe part of me believes you're right. This part, however, is of minor importance. After having waited for more than I felt was good for me, she finally got on stage and flabbergasted all the others who now were forced to join me in this feeling of euphoria. Just by singing 'hi'. After that this girl, at the top of her emotions, reached cords that made the small hairs on our skin shiver. Giving us refreshing tones to hop on and tunes that could even make the most damaged person feel in love for a second. The combination of whispering words and raw exhales made the symphonies sounds more authentic than ever. C'est sa ton qui fait la musique.
As if this wasn't enough she friendly asked the audience to hug. 'Please hug the person on your left' she said, while she was rubbing her own back. For a moment I could see the young Sia pretending to make out in her teenage bedroom. Her cuteness even disarmed Thijs, although he referred to it as 'niet goed in d'r hoofd', which literally means 'out of her mind'. But I won't be picky about words.

But I guess it was the sign language she used to express the meaning of "Soon We'll Be Found" that captured the last infadels.
link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcyQcNlGEVE
I am still not overstating, but I did forget to mention an important factor: her band. These musicians, every single one of them, are magicians, capable of making you feel ... happy. That was the word I have been looking for. They just gave us plain happiness.


So this has all turned out to be a tribute to Thijs. Without him I would have been having amazing fun somewhere else in Berlin without realizing what I had missed. However, he took me to the concert and i'm glad he made realize what I didn't miss.


Thanks.

No comments: