Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Berlin Bulb

Just a week after this year had begun, almost all happiness of the Christmas and NewYears atmosphere seemed to have disappeared. Berlin turned to be as dark as I feared she could be. I had just moved to Germany's Capital and had heard a lot about it. Loneliness sprinkled throughout the city. Unappealing abandoned contructionsites. Grey skies filled with crying clouds above me and their tears on the streets beneath. I felt weird and maybe a bit betrayed. I had left Hong 'canto-pop' Kong in order to be somewhere surrounded by alikes. People that couldn't get enough of the soundtrack of life. But was this really the city of endless tunes? A place where no-one ever stopped? The still running afterparties of Sylvester didn't appeal to my taste at that point. Was't the musical creativity suppose to keep this place pumping as blood through veins? If that was so, why couldn't I find it?

But then a small hint. Just two simply formulated sentences on the net: ‘Die Tanzguerilla trifft sich, um im Kaufhaus tanzen zu gehen. Bringt Walkman und MP3-Player mit’. Danceguerilla? The idea of dancing in a shoppingmall made my heart do a Charleston through my chest.

A silent disco amongst hundreds of necessary shoppers, turning a smile on most of their faces. Bodymovement. Excitement. Flirting. For some it's not just plain entertainment, it's a protest. Against capitalism. Against globalisation. Against boredom. Against dark days.

Berlin, known for its rebellion, has always encouraged this way of expression after the fall of the Wall. With dialy demonstrations, these meetings, however, seems to focus on the funfactor. No rules. Just dancing on spots where you always wanted to dance. Supermarkets, subway stations, cashmachinespaces, conferencenters, even the Reichstag received a welldeserved visit.

And then I found out that this was just the innocent beginning. What followed was the introduced to the world of Rave. Through friends, acquaintances and people I didn't know at all, I got informed about the most amazing gatherings. Old factories, parks and forests, bunkers, rooftops. Morning, night, midday. Dressed-up, naked, come as you like. Friday, Sunday, Tuesday. No boundaries. No end. Just dance until the police comes.... and even that is no guarantee.

I knew Berlin had it. Something growing under the ground, waiting to be revealed. But actually discovering and experiencing all these amazing features felt like a bonus, a durable lightbulb for the dark winterdays. So this time, with winter starting, I'm ready and anxious to see what Berlin is preparing to keep us warm.

No comments: