Saturday, November 29, 2008

Of my chest.

I normally refuse to write a negative review (as I stated in a Writers Note), because it feels like a waste of time. For both me and you. This time on the other hand my mental peace won't be reached until I get this of my chest. So writing about it, is the better solution.

After having seen several announcements on websites and in magazines, having read so many interviews, with the artist, being triggered by his artpieces and being mentally raped by the huge amount of advertisement on Kult des Künstlers, it felt like I couldn't miss the Jeff Koons exhibition in the Neue National Gallerie in Berlin.

While I was standing on the doorstep of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's impressive design, I could see Koons' first object: Balloon Dog. This huge porcelain Dog always makes me smile, so I entered the museum in a good mood. I bought a ticket and observed the 10 objects I could see, while standing in line. (I ám capable of enjoying a line-ride, for further reference see It's Bergtime.) However, I entered the space and realized a remarkable thing: that was it. No, I'm lying, there were 11 (!) objects to be admired. So I asked one of the 11 museumguards, where the other pieces were. 'Das ist alles, Fraulein', he replied. What?!?! So I paid 8 euro to see an exhibition that I could see for free from the outside. There were even two possibilities: a) from behind the thin rope line and b) through the windows on the 1st floor that serve as walls. Please forgive my language, but I felt screwed. I could spend even more time in the museumshop. While I was being pissed off, after I found out that I couldn't even touch ("Das ist Kunst, waren Sie noch nie in einem Museum?") or photograph the gigantic Celebration, I saw a man carefully capture the pieces from the outside on tape as well as with his gigantic, professional tele-lens ... for free. And now I must say that I truly hope this man was Koons himself working on his new project (aka "Watching the Suckers"), otherwise the entire event feels like a bigger waste of time.

The thing that really made my night was the toilet smelling like peachcandy.


http://www.smb.museum/smb/sammlungen/details.php?lang=de&objID=20&n=1&r=19

http://www.jeffkoons.com/

No comments: