Saturday, November 8, 2008

Elbow

Widely respected by bands like Radiohead, Blur, Snow Patrol, U2 and many others, I couldn't believe that I had never (ssshht) listened to this band. It was one of these typical musical examples of living under a rock for years. Fortunately, I was persuaded to go and see Elbow yesterday.

We entered the impressive building of the Columbiaclub during the first song and I can't remember the last time I turned into a soft egg that quickly. Maybe twenty notes had come out of Guy Garvey's magical throat, but that was all I needed. The only thing I clearly remember from this concert is the floating feeling I experienced for more than an hour.

The members of this Mercury-prize winning Mancester rock band have been playing together for more than 18 years, which can heard directly if you listen to them. The sound they produce is a creation of their obvious synergy.
I still couldn't understand how I had managed to not know their music, but then slowly, some vague recognition appeared. I started remembering things I didn't know I knew. First melodies, than lyrics, I knew this band. I tried to let it rest, but as soon as I got back home, I googled their entire existence.
And there they were, back in my mind: Elbow.


The singles 'Any day now', 'Asleep in the back' and 'Newborn'.

The accoustic kittens version of 'Independent Woman'.

Their 'Fallen Angel' in Michael Winterbottoms
9 Songs.
The trailersong of the new Coen Brothers' Burn after Reading.

The more I read about them, the more signals started travelling my brain and the more I started appreciating the concert in retrospect. The way they played, their 'old-fashion'-style fans (they were definitly more devoted back in the old days), the warm atmosphere (even though it was literally bloody hot as well), the amount of fun they seemed to have on stage. It was one of those concerts that remind you of your first concert. Mine was Pink Floyd and although the two had almost nothing in common, for a moment I felt as if I was eleven years old again.
It was one of those classic examples of
you had me at "Hello!".


Must-see/hear:

www.elbow.co.uk

www.myspace.com/
elbowmusic
Elbow's cover of "Independent Woman" (Destiny's Child)
http://www.rathergood.com/independent_woman/

No comments: